Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What can I do for ya honey

I am a freelance trombonist by title, but a trick-turning whore by practice. The gig I just finished playing has made me feel all dirty and ashamed. Don't get me wrong, I think some gigs are great, but some of them are terrible, and all of them are causing me to live the life of a musical prostitute. Somebody will call me for a gig the week before the gig, offering a pitiful,yet acceptable fee, and what do I do? I book it, shuffling all my other calendar committments around to accomodate the newcomer. You could tell them no, you'd say. And you'd be right, except that by declining the gig, I am ensuring the loss of that pittance of income, and it is those pittances that comprise my laughable salary. I am in no position to say no to a gig, yet. But, I did tell somebody no to a gig tonight, as luck would have it, and because of that, I don't feel quite as used as I could. I hope to leave my chosen world behind soon enough, but until that day, I suppose I'll keep pleasing the jons, who let me play the repertoire I worked so hard to learn in grad school in exchange for walking all over my sad availability.

No comments: